Dunkiel Saunders helps clients communicate environmental and health benefits for their products and services while staying within the legal boundaries that govern such green marketing claims. Through a comprehensive review of their advertising and promotional materials, we help clients identify terms that require substantiation, and help ensure compliance with the FTC’s “Guides for the Use of Environmental Marketing Claims” (“Green Guides”), state and local consumer-protection regulations, and the standards of relevant self-regulatory industry bodies.
We advise clients on claims relating to:
- Organic certification
- Compliance with Vermont’s law – Act 120 – requiring food containing genetically engineered ingredients to be labeled, effective July 1, 2016.
- Recyclable, biodegradable, and compostable packaging
- Renewable energy, carbon offsets, and renewable energy certificates
- Carbon neutrality and carbon footprint
- Source reduction and local sourcing
- Sustainability and life-cycle assessments
- Seals, logos, and third-party certifications